[MUD-Dev] 3D World Models

Leach Leach
Wed Aug 5 13:16:19 CEST 1998

Greetings,

Over the past few years, this list has seen quite a few different models
for implementing a non-room text-based mud. Are any of these models
being used on a mud today?
I ask this as I am *extremely* curious to see how successful an
implementation is. When I embarked on designing and writing a mud from
scratch, my primary goal was to allow realistic, ranged combat in a
3-Dimensional world. I wanted to have Bubba run up to the crest of a
hill, crouch down, pull out a bow, and shoot Boffo, who is standing in a
neighbouring valley. This was very much a dream, as I didn't (and
probably still don't) have the programming knowledge/experience to code
it up. However, after reading the archives of this list, it has become
more of a realistic idea.

Basically, I am looking for any experiences in building such a world. I
am keen to learn from the successes and mistakes of others, with the
ultimate goal of implementing such a system. From what I have seen in
the archives, this list has described a number of designs that may suit
the above scenario. Are any of these working?

If the list has had enough of 3d models, just say, and I will go back to
my little hole. :-)

Cheers,
-Brad

<sig snipped>