[MUD-Dev] Re: Alternate UOL's

Koster Koster
Wed Aug 5 17:28:17 CEST 1998

You're not going to have a viable 3d engine with 3d meshes for figures
unless you spend at least two years developing it. Consider the basic
problem: you need to support 30-40 fully animated 3d figures moving on
screen at once, in a 3d environment, ideally all with distinct meshes,
art, and equipment.

This is an extremely non-trivial problem for a 3d engine. There's a
reason why folks like 989 Studios (formerly Sony Interactive, makers of
EverQuest) have been working on it for so long--and are requiring 3d
acceleration--and still only show 5-6 people at once.

-Raph