[MUD-Dev] Re: Question regarding Java threads

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Wed Aug 5 22:54:36 CEST 1998

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> A bit back we we discussing the upper limits of Java threads on
> various platforms.   Much of the concern, especially in regard to
> Java, was the one thread per connection issue.  Can anyone comment on
> the following hardware(?) issue raised here?
>
> --cut from rgma --
>
> By the way, your P2-233 will choke with 200 active users.  Interrupt
> overflow from the NIC.  You could solve this problem with a $500 NIC
> that doesn't interrupt the CPU as much(has its own processor,) but
> then you'll have to ban char mode telnet outright and do some other
> unfriendly things too, and I just don't know that you're going to find
> 200 simultaneous players anyway; few muds do, so unless you become one
> of them, it isn't worth the time, money, and effort to prepare for:)

I'm not convinced he is right.  Perhaps if you are using a sorry driver
and or sorry NIC...

For grins, I'm gonna work on some scripts to max my mud out...

I'll let you know how it goes....

Ben

> --
> John J. Adelsberger III
> jja at umr.edu
>
> --end cut--
>
> --
> --/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
> --/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--
> --/*\   "Everything that deceives may be said to enchant" - Plato   /*\--
>
> --
> MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html