[MUD-Dev] Re: [IDEAS] Starting from scratch

Ross Nicoll rnicoll at calmar-mud.com
Thu Aug 6 20:34:06 CEST 1998

s001gmu wrote in a Mail about "[MUD-Dev] Re: [IDEAS] Starting from
scratch":

 > I recall a figure of 'an afternoon's work' being quoted.  *shrug*
Would be quite a bit longer for me, mostly because of how the database code
is designed (one file, binary, and reliable too).

 > I believe they also tied that in with the crash-recovery.  In case of a
 > seg fault they catch the signal and do a gracefull soft-boot.  I dunno
 > if they put a counter/timer in it, to catch things like loading a
 > certain p-file causing the seg-fault (which would send the server into
 > a lovely infinite reboot cycle).
That wouldn't really suit my MUD, if anything is wrong, it almost definately
means some of the data is corrupted, and so a database save would just crash
it again. Anyway, we tend to be up for about 2 weeks at a time, which isn't
bad...

... "The voters have spoken, the bastards..."
... -- unknown