[MUD-Dev] Re: Question regarding Java threads

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 6 23:14:12 CEST 1998

On  5 Aug 98, Ben Greear wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>
> > A bit back we we discussing the upper limits of Java threads on
> > various platforms.   Much of the concern, especially in regard to
> > Java, was the one thread per connection issue.  Can anyone comment on
> > the following hardware(?) issue raised here?
> >
> > --cut from rgma --
> >
> > By the way, your P2-233 will choke with 200 active users.  Interrupt
> > overflow from the NIC.  You could solve this problem with a $500 NIC
> > that doesn't interrupt the CPU as much(has its own processor,) but
> > then you'll have to ban char mode telnet outright and do some other
> > unfriendly things too, and I just don't know that you're going to find
> > 200 simultaneous players anyway; few muds do, so unless you become one
> > of them, it isn't worth the time, money, and effort to prepare for:)
>
> I'm not convinced he is right.  Perhaps if you are using a sorry driver
> and or sorry NIC...
>
> For grins, I'm gonna work on some scripts to max my mud out...
>
> I'll let you know how it goes....

Nod.  It's my gut feeling that a small capacity card would find
itself in a wait state before flooding the CPU with interrupts.  Then
again, I have very little experience in the network card area.

I've got a fairly old card on this machine, DEC Etherworks LC/TP
(DE-101?) and it's in a 400mhz MMX P2.  Dunno if this card will
cause problems.  It doesn't with 5 users <grin>

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--