[MUD-Dev] Re: ADMIN: Advertising on MUD-Dev

T. Alexander Popiel popiel at snugharbor.com
Sat Aug 8 14:54:08 CEST 1998

In message:  <E0z5Cwq-0005o9-00 at mail.kanga.nu>
             J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> writes:

>  We now have list members who are using various free email services,
>and in particular email services which append or prepend avertising to
>all messages sent thru them (eg yahoo).
>
>  My temptation is to refuse posting authority to all such
>advertising-laden messages as a matter of policy.
>I could install filters on the list to attempt to strip advertising
>from inbound messages but am leery of committing to having to support
>that filter as the format and pattern of the advertising changes over
>time.
>
>  Comments?  Thoughts?  Discussion welcome.  Please discuss this only
>under the above subject heading.

[ Note that the above is severely edited. ]

If there are still free mailbox services which do not adulterate mail
like this, I would say to refuse posting authority to all adulterating
services.  Unfortunately, I do not know of any free services which do
not adulterate mail... the best I've seen is only two lines of self-
promotion.

My second choice would again be to refuse posting authority; those
who would wish to use such a service for posting probably have the
means to pay for a non-adulterating service; this generally costs
about US$20/month.  This doesn't seem like a huge investment to me.

Attempting to filter out the adverts is an unstable solution, as you
point out; it would be my third choice.

- Alex