[MUD-Dev] Neat surrealistic graphical mudclients in Java?

Sun Aug 9 23:30:22 CEST 1998

I admit that I have been somewhat skeptical to whether Java as implemented
in current browsers would be able to cut it for graphical clients. However,
one should always keep an eye on the enthusiasts if one is looking for the
potential of new technology.  The so-called "Amiga demoscene" has for quite
some time been a recruiting pool for game companies, parts of showoff demos
have even become games. One of the motivating forces behind all the effort
involved in making a demo are the big conventions with their
demo competitions. Here in Norway we have this convention called The
Gathering (www.crusaders.no) and this easter they arranged a Java
competition. I find two of the entries rather exciting:

1) "Forward" by Komplex (finnish):
          http://www.jyu.fi/komplex/java.html
          http://www.jyu.fi/~janasko/forward.zip

2) "Next" by Digital Nerds(norwegian):
          ftp://ftp.gathering.org/incoming/java/next.zip

Granted, the window is small, and it doesn't run very smooth on my P100, but
I still think it shows that you can produce quite an experience by using the
resources you have in a clever way. Consciously applied texture mapping and
music, combined with continuous motion does at least create a sense of
excitement in me. How about you?

I believe one could build a MUD around this. You don't NEED realism in a
virtual world. You need excitement!  If you are willing to throw out the
idea that users should be able to
see everything in the room at once, then you could just let the graphics
window be a very subjective projection of whatever the user is focusing on.
It would be more like swimming in liquid. Then you could use all kinds of
nifty icons/text consoles etc. for the more pragmatic issues.  What I am
proposing is essentially to use graphics to provide an overview and a mood,
rather than an exact interaction surface.

What do you think?
--
Ola Fosheim Groestad,Norway      http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~olag/worlds/