[MUD-Dev] Re: ADMIN: Advertising on MUD-Dev

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Mon Aug 10 10:51:01 CEST 1998

On Sat, 08 Aug 1998 16:07:24 -0700
Caliban Tiresias Darklock<caliban at darklock.com> wrote:

> I can also imagine several reasons someone might not want to use the
> net access they're using to develop or operate a MUD; among them
> anonymity and corporate internet access policies (which, you must
> admit, there are probably a FEW people respecting).

I know at least one person who has been told that regularly receiving
or sending non work-related email will be considered a misuse of
corporate resources and thereby a "career limiting decision".
Painful, but true.

> I'm a lot closer to the opposite end of the scale, obviously, but I
> wouldn't agree that we're justified in selecting an extreme
> viewpoint just because that makes it easier to enforce. It would be
> a lot easier on a lot of levels if we just gave every convicted
> felon the death penalty instead of putting them in prison, but that
> doesn't make it right.

Underlieing this is the question of whether posting authority for an
individual who is going to post signal is a "right" or anything
resembling that.

> I'd like to say that I really appreciate JC's opening the issue to
> discussion, rather than just instituting a policy and saying "here
> it is, deal with it, if you don't like it unsubscribe". I've seen
> that happen on a lot of mailing lists, and it's refreshing to have
> some subscriber input on the matter. However it goes in the end.

<bow>

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com