[MUD-Dev] Re: Question regarding Java threads

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Mon Aug 10 19:36:05 CEST 1998

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Matt Chatterley wrote:

[big snip]

> Java specifically? According to the work done here (Vadim's?), and some stuff i
> read in one of the online magazines (I've forgotten which; it was a while ago),
> all the current JDKs can support ~500 sockets with comfort, some can go far
> beyond. I wouldn't worry about anything except having enough *actual computing
> power* (and possibly available memory).

Do you mean 500 threads maybe?  I was running out of sockets (file
descriptors) at around 50 on my linux box (per java instance).  It
could have been 64, but it was definately not 70 or above.

Granted, you can get around this..but it would not be trivial.  Perhaps
on other OS's/JVM's you can get more.

Ben

> ---
>         -Matt Chatterley
>         http://user.itl.net/~neddy/
> "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.." -John Lennon (Imagine)

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html