[MUD-Dev] Re: Adverts in email on the list.

Vadim Tkachenko vt at freehold.crocodile.org
Mon Aug 10 22:18:43 CEST 1998

Holly Sommer wrote:

[skipped]

> The free mailing services are free, after all - it's not like these are
> commercial ads, outright. In fact, I have often considered getting one
> myself for the explicit purpose of mailing lists such as these...
>
> The reason behind that is that at work, I am behind a firewall with the
> only communication in/out being limited to web access (ie: no telnet
> in/out and no external access to/from a POP mailer). The volume here is
> such that even if unattended overnight, it can get to be an eyeful, and
> so a centralized email address would help, in letting me deal with the
> email at work AND at home... and that would only be possible for *me*
> through something like hotmail.

Well, don't be surprised if someday your boss gives you a printout of
what you've been doing - it's called a traffic analysis. And, being
paranoid, do you _really_ trust your free service provider for not
snooping in your data? Some people do.

> Granted, that's a very specific case, and probably is representative of
> only maybe 5% of the population here, but I don't see why (in theory)
> that should prevent me from being on the list.

I think, it's more - lot of people have computers at home novadays, and
having two accounts is not the greatest evil - I have four :-((( And
God, I wish I could use them at the same time, but no - firewall here,
firewall there...

> Plus, if I get a great idea at home, I have to either subscribe under
> both addresses, or email it to my work account from home, and then
> forward it.

Doing this kind of stuff every day... There was even a joke: "And I will
send myself many letters, just to bother the postman" :-)

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <vt at freehold.crocodile.org>