[MUD-Dev] Re: DBMS in MU*'s

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Tue Aug 11 16:22:38 CEST 1998

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998 14:08:31 -0600
Chris Gray<cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA> wrote:

> I *think* we've also discussed single versus multiple inheritance
> for MUD objects, but don't recall the conclusions. I use single
> inheritance, and it works so far, although my world isn't very
> sophisticated.

Here there be dragons.

I like multiple inheritance, but will freely admit that it makes
gawd-awful nightmares easily accomplishable.  Others champion single
inheritance, stating quite rightly, that there's nothing you can do in
multiple inheritance that can't be accomplished (with a different
hierarchy) using single inheritance.  It really derives to something
much like the dreaded GOTO war:  Everybody admits that there are no
cases where there is no alternative to using them, but many argue that
using them makes some/many cases "simpler".

Then again there is the concept of interfaces (again, cf the current
C++ Report (sorry about the price)) which adds a whole new twist to
the puzzle outside of the inheritance arena without really replacing
the concepts of inheritance at all.  They've all got their uses,
proponents, enemies, and champions, and can all do the job at hand if
you put your mind to it.

That all typed, I'd love to see someone argue or analyse the
application of interfaces (a comparitively new structure for me) to
their design here.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com