[MUD-Dev] Re: DBMS in MU*'s

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 11 23:25:37 CEST 1998

On 11 Aug 98, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Attempting to translate my model into, say, an SQL DB (as I briefly
> attempted), poses problems.  The inter-object relationships which
> (presumably) require indexes are dynamic and defined by the
> user-written contents and definitions of the objects.  As such I can't
> pre-define the record structure in a manner that maps directly to the
> object heirarchy.

Update to earlier threads:
I have found a few theoretical papers on this pesky problem of
mapping runtime dynamic objects into relational architectures.

see:
  and
  <URL:http://researchsmp2.cc.vt.edu/DB/db/indices/a-tree/r/Reinwald:Berthold .html>

B. Reinwald's papers on SMRC are right up this alley.  I wasn't able to find
out much about SMRC on the IBM web site as to it's availabilty for DB2/PC.
But the papers will provide some good "oo's and ah's" before your eyes
glaze over and you fall asleep. ;)

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--