[MUD-Dev] Re: [CODE] [LANGUAGE/PLATFORM SPECIFIC] My Event Engine

Gevan shanos at es.co.nz
Thu Aug 13 06:55:51 CEST 1998

Quoting Chris Gray (cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA):
> [J C Lawrence:]
>
>  >Look for /usr/include/sys/poll.h (at least on my RH/Alpha system).
>
> Not here on my 2.0.30 RH/x86 system.
>  > [...]
>  >I suspect you need a glibc update.
>
> Could be - I think I don't have glibc.

A non-old libc should do just as well.  Perhaps something in the
5.4.x range.

> However, if its just compatibility stuff, that suggests its just a
> library routine built on top of the 'select' system call. I don't
> think updating libc will add new kernel calls! Checking my magic
> header file '/usr/include/sys/syscall.h', I don't find an entry
> for 'poll'.

As I recall, that's correct.  Recent libraries support poll emulation
over select(2).  However, recent experimental [linux] kernels -- any
but the earliest 2.1.x -- have a native "poll" system call, which the
same recent libraries will use if it's available.  Veering slightly
further from the topic, it's interesting to note that the select
system call is now implemented (internally) on top of a poll-like
interface.