[MUD-Dev] Re: clients anyone?...

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Thu Aug 13 21:44:12 CEST 1998

On Wed, Aug 12, 1998 at 10:29:59PM -0700, Bruce Mitchener, Jr. wrote:
> Why not use a protocol described by an XML DTD?  This would allow you to
> parse it easily with standard libraries in multiple languages and validate
> the data fairly easily.

Yeah, but I don't think I want the overhead of a real XML parser.  I don't
think my data stream is going to be so complex as to need it.

> For robots, NPCs and AI, they would be receiving the same data available to
> any user and could be hosted anywhere, not requiring the main game server(s)
> to be bogged down by AI.  Logging mechanisms could even be handled this way
> to provide a more intelligent AI-based log monitoring system.  You could
> even stick a weather control system on the client side of this (albeit, a
> different type of data headed down that pipe).

I do like the idea of doing this to offload scripted player/AI code to work
without bloating the server.  But I don't think it's going to take XML.
I've been playing with the idea of about 200-byte packets, but I don't have
a packet structure I like yet.

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman