[MUD-Dev] Re: Marian's Tailor Problem

Brandon Cline brandon at sedona.net
Sat Aug 15 01:39:06 CEST 1998

Koster, Raph wrote:

> [...]

Or if that's not possible, what degree, frequency and over all effect is
acceptable from said violence...  I.e. mugging, robbing, killing etc?Also,
if said tailor is then protected from violent acts, would he/she be able to
perform them?  What "area" if the tailors domain would be protected?  If
this was all somehow achieved would the tailor being put out of business by
the guy down the street be just as detrimental to his "playing the game" as
being killed in front of his shop would?

> And harder, how do you do it without human intervention?

One design direction I seem to take when looking at a few of the common
problems among virtual environments is to say, "What kinda of world, or
effect in the world would lessen the impact of this problem?"  I.e. if
there is no general who list "within" the game, and maybe no direct tell
<person> type command, how hard would it be to avoid "continuous"
harrasment from one player in general...

> Clearly, if you remove the "supports violence" bit, the difficulty just
> about all goes away.

There are a number of issues in a virtual roleplaying environment that seem
to arise from the attempt to remove "violence" totally from the world that
are just as daunting and hard to solve as the initial problem itself, which
is why I believe most of us don't go in that direction...

- Brandon Cline