[MUD-Dev] Re: WIRED: Kilers have more fun

Matt Chatterley matt at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sat Aug 15 18:37:54 CEST 1998

This message is in MIME format
--_=XFMail.1.3.p0.Linux:980815183754:3862=_

On 30-Jun-98 Richard Woolcock wrote:
> J C Lawrence wrote:
>>

> [snip]
>
>> If you really want players to set up burger flipping enterprises and
>> others such in your MUDs, and you want such attempts to be the
>> default, you're going to have to establish event (player-visible
>> effects) rates and feedback rates for burger joint attempts that match
>> or exceed the event rates of shish kebabbing newbies.
>
> Or make shish kebabbing newbies a very messy, predictable and unrewarding
> event?  I believe I mentioned my plans to remove all exp gains for killing,
> well I've still not gotten around to doing this (still trying to find a
> replacement method for exp gain - I'll have to work some more on that plot
> system).  Imagine my eventual system though... you attack someone who may
> well beat you (even if they're a newbie), won't have anything of value (just
> some clothes, maybe a spare weapon or two) and will result in you loosing
> some humanity points (which in turn has other disadvantages).  The result?
> Hopefully killing will only be done out of necessity or for political gain.

Ah. But will simply making something unrewarding accomplish this? It'll almost
certainly slow the rate via taking out those who are soley after materialistic
gains. Not those who are after some sort of thrill from doing so.

Talking in context of a game which is trying to reduce PK (one I play on, and
have no administrative ties to, and which will remain nameless) - all attempts
are failing. Threats of removal from the game barely had any effect (as I would
have expected), and the Player Council (not a concept with which I personally
agree, really), is struggling to create sane laws. Hindered greatly by half of
them not understanding the concepts of IN and OUT of character actions, IMHO.

However, not to slight KaVir's suggestion, which is the only *practical*
approach, I'll toss a thought onto the heap - does toning down the 'This is a
<xyz> rank player, far different from this <xyz> NPC' concept have any effect?

---
        -Matt Chatterley
        http://user.itl.net/~neddy/
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.." -John Lennon (Imagine)

--_=XFMail.1.3.p0.Linux:980815183754:3862=_

--_=XFMail.1.3.p0.Linux:980815183754:3862=_--
End of MIME message