[MUD-Dev] PerLDAP, usefull for your perl-mud?

quzah quzah at geocities.com
Thu Aug 20 22:38:08 CEST 1998

I didn't have the original message around any more,
so I searched back a bit and found it in the archives.
At any rate, I'm not sure I got the right message, but
WTH, right?

>clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:
>Security becomes the biggest
>issue, methinks, and with my language (at the moment, I intend to use
>Perl) there are a lot of nasty things users shouldn't do that are
>perfectly legal if you're an admin.

I believe this is quote referring to the individual who
was planning on programming a mud i Perl? If not, I apologize
to both of you (who I quoted, and who I forgot ;).

The point of this message is that, while I'm not sure if it is
of any use, I found some article on data base handling in Perl,
and I wasn't sure if it would be of any help or not. I tried to
get more info on it, but the provided sub-links in the page do
not seem to turn up anything good. (The source code for it is
supposed to be released by the end of the month.) But, for what
it's worth, here is the URL I was talking about.

< URL:http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19980820S0009 >

(I hope I posted that right in regards to the rules :)
Anyway, sorry to droll on so... in brief, Netscape has released
via opensource-ness PerlDAP, which is 'Lightweight Direct Access
Protocol'.

[quote]
 PerLDAP is for quickly creating directory capabilities for extranet
 applications, and integrates LDAP, a set of protocols used to
 exchange information between computers, including mainframes with
 large databases. By making LDAP available through Perl, a relatively
 simple scripting language, Netscape hopes developers will give
 existing applications LDAP capabilities.

 The PerLDAP release, Howes said, links directly with Netscape's
 strategy behind its Directory Server. The new software will make
 it quicker and easier for programmers to hook up Directory Server
 and other Netscape enterprise software to different sources of
 information.
[end of quote]

If this is totally useless, and I've wasted everyone's time,
I apologize.
-Q-