[MUD-Dev] Re: An Introduction

Adam J. Thornton adam at phoenix.princeton.edu
Fri Aug 21 22:52:10 CEST 1998

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 06:51:46PM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
> > Definitely get Stevens at some point, because while you'll
> > eventually outgrow Comer... no one outgrows Stevens. "TCP/IP
> > Illustrated" is one of those series everyone OUGHT to have, but not
> > enough people do. I consider him about as essential as Knuth.
> Its worth noting that Stevens is doing a second and significantly
> updated edition of his three volume TCP/IP series.  So far only book
> one is out (that I head of), and has been receiving excellant reviews.

Stevens of Stevens and Comer is not Stevens of UNP and APUE.  However, V. 1
of _Unix Network Programming_ *is* in 2d. ed., the others are coming out,
and it is a fantastic book.  Although there's a big nasty bug in his
threads code, so make *sure* you download the errata from his web site.

Adam
adam at princeton.edu
"There's a border to somewhere waiting, and a tank full of time." - J. Steinman