[MUD-Dev] Re: Finer points of Telnet programming ...

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Sun Aug 23 14:23:07 CEST 1998

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Jynx (Wyrm / Tygr / Myth) Ryn wrote:

It doesn't have to be any more complex than reading bytes
from a socket, and writing others back to the socket.  It
has little to do with telnet itself.  I would suggest downloading
some mud code, circle, diku,  or whatever and start looking
at the select, bind, socket, gethostbyname, and related system
calls.

Also, you'll probably want to buy a good book on socket
and client/server programming..

<PLUG>
PS.  Feel free to download the code for my from-scratch MUD
and poke around with it.  I could probably answer any questions
you might have about it.  But, beware...it's beta with bugs
and I put new releases up w/out testing them very well :)
See my web page for more information...
</PLUG>

Ben

> I have been programming on a circleMUD based MUD for about a
> year now, and, well, I have ( and I admit this task is just
> a slight bit nutty, but I feel I am in good company for it.
> ) recently taken intrest in programming a MUD from scratch,
> and have been attempting to learn such things as database
> handling, script parsing, handling time, multiple users, and
> other such esoteric techniques. On my quest to build another
> platform I have run into a building block. How does TELNET
> programming WORK? For the life of me I can't figure it out.
>
> I have the design of what I want in a mud ( vaguely
> Diku-esque ), and have most of the rest of the stuff down.
> If anybody can help me with TELNET ( C++ perferably, C
> alternately ) I'd appreciate it greatly.
>
> - Jynx Ryn
> - The Complex Man with A Simple Signiture
>
> --
> MUD-Dev: Advancing an unrealised future.

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html