[MUD-Dev] Re: Modular MUD [Was:Finer points of Telnet progra

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 26 00:32:23 CEST 1998

On 25 Aug 98, Adam J. Thornton wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 06:03:05PM -0700, Caliban Tiresias Darklock
> wrote:
> > "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..." Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't
> > stray pointers something you shouldn't have in the first place? Every
> > argument I've heard for W9x being a bad platform comes down to "If you
> > screw up, bad things happen". Well, call me arrogant, but I say just don't
> > screw up.
>
> I'm not smart enough to write real programs without screwing up.
> And I like it when my mistakes don't make me have to reboot, and I
> just get "Segmentation Violation [core dumped]", and then I can
> debug using the core file and my executable, and realize that I
> passed in the value stored at some place rather than its address, or
> something like that.

Nod.  I also screw up often and I get the exact same error, except
a dialog box pops up that says a "A page-fault exception has occurred
at 0x0cfe004e in kernel32.exe".  Then I click the just-in-time
debugging button and my source window, assembly pane and call stack
window pop up.  Double-click on the last function called on the
stack and usually the offending source line is staring me in the
face.  Ah, but I simplify, I usually try to code more devious and
subtle pointer errors.  ;)

> And with a modular, extensible framework, where you can't
> necessarily control the quality of the code being run, well, I'd be
> really wary of running it in an environment that didn't rigorously
> enforce process isolation.

Well... I'm not inclined to venture into debugging the libs or dlls
supplied with my OS or compiler.  I don't have access to the source
code nor do I have the time to fix their code.  I'd rather send the
vendor some hate E-mail and demand they supply a workaround or fix
for the problem.

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--