[MUD-Dev] Re: Modular MUD

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sun Aug 30 01:16:02 CEST 1998

On 12:35 AM 8/29/98 +0200, I personally witnessed Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad
jumping up to say:

>Maybe this is just my glasses being foggy or something, but I
>have noticed a slowdown in performance at the end of longer sessions
>(10hours+), which would suggest that Windows95 has a somewhat sloppy
>cleaningup department.

I've had this problem with certain applications, but it's almost always
because the programmer messed up and created memory and resource leaks. The
operating system is rarely (but not never) to blame. If anything, I would
blame the friendliness and usability of the development tools; they've
convinced a lot of people who SHOULD NOT BE PROGRAMMING that they can write
serious commercial-quality applications. Some of them try to. They usually
fail miserably.=20

Shareware authors are generally more reliable, because they're not dealing
with a marketing department or a sales staff. Some of them still create
crappy applications.=20

>Besides, do you expect the admin to dedicate a machine to the MUD, or=
 should
>(s)he be able to say, run MSWord, at the same time? =20

My thought process here is that if the system runs on Win98, it will run
just as well on NT in the majority of cases, so you just tack on the
service manager interface and let the user test and play and run a
transient MUD on his own machine... then when he wants to run a serious
MUD, he chucks it onto an NT box and sets the "Run As Service" parameter
somewhere.=20

>If you expect the user
>to dedicate a machine to the task then you could simply let the user admin
>the MUD from a remote client with a simple and neat GUI?

That's how you'd work with the system service once it was on the NT
machine. Of course, you could always just say "Run this on an NT box", but
not everyone HAS an NT box. I think it's very useful and effective to
design, build, and test your system *before* you release it to the public.
Then you can do your experimenting on your home box, and when it WORKS you
can put it on the server.

Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com>   | "I'm not sorry or=20
Darklock Communications <http://www.darklock.com/> |  ashamed of who I=20
PGP Key AD21EE50 at <http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/~bal/> |  really am."     =20