[MUD-Dev] Re: Modular MUD

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Mon Aug 31 13:36:34 CEST 1998

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 13:03:27 -0700
quzah <quzah at geocities.com> wrote:

> What's the big deal with encryption not being able to be exported?
> Does the government think noone outside the US is smart enought to
> think up some good encryption on their own?  -Q-

Writing as list owner:

  The relevant legislation in the US goes under the heading "ITAR".
Other countries have other legislations with variously restrictive
terms (some all the way down to it being illegal to even possess
encryption tools or software without a government license).  Do the
relevant web searches for personal enlightenment.  This is NOT the
venue to fight this crusade.  That said, I have no problem with
discussion of encryption methods to be used in the MUD arena on
MUD-Dev.

  Note: This is a touchy area.  This is also a physically dangerous
area (ie potentially deadly).  Men in black suits are involved: the
phrase, "an issue of national security," can and is used to cover up
and justify an awful lot, even in this supposedly free and transparent
US of A as well as other foreign climes.

  For those interested: I've been active in this area: among other
various and sundry tasks I worked for Sun in the dept responsible for
the first significant and effective commercial crack in ITAR: ELVIS
and SKIP.  There were many at Sun, let alone our friends at the NSA
and federal government, who would have been very happy to see that
entire floor of the building taken out via an "accidentally" misfired
missile from Moffit Field with all of us in it.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com