[MUD-Dev] Re: Hex-grid mapping (example from PSL empire)

quzah quzah
Wed Dec 2 14:14:08 CET 1998

From: Pericolo DiMorte <choke at sirius.com>
Date: Wednesday, December 02, 1998 11:06 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Re: Hex-grid mapping (example from PSL empire)

<sarcasm>Forgive me, father, for I have sinned.</sarcasm>

>This is the same hex system that PSL Empire used in its final incarnation, by
>the way.  He took what was essentially a 2d array and shifted every even row by
one
>so that the displayed map looked like this
>
>-    000000000000
>-    112233445566
>- 00 X X X X X X
>- 01  X X X X X X
>- 02 X X X X X X
>- 03  X X X X X X
>- 04 X X X X X X
>- 05  X X X X X X
>- 06 X X X X X X
>
>Looks like crap with this stupid font.  Oh well.
>
>Anyhow for example: 2,3 has 6 neighbors which include the 4 hexes at the
diagonals of each 'cell' plus the one above and one
>below skipping a row.
>
>By the way, I wonder what Peter Langston is up to these days?

Thanks for your instructive reply. I did not see the other two neighbors. I
suppose not all of are as brilliant as you are all of the time. When I was
seeing it, it was a hex, not a box scooted over. From my vantage point, it
only had six neighbors, not eight. I suppose next time, as not to clutter
up the list, I'll just not bother posting, and remain in the dark; not as
enlightened, but not as rebuked. Enjoy your lack of my clutter from now on.

Quzah.