[MUD-Dev] Re: Introduction

Mik Clarke mikclrk at ibm.net
Tue Dec 8 22:25:10 CET 1998

ApplePiMan at aol.com wrote:
> Mik is correct in saying there *should* be no issues with Chaosium, as
> long as the gaming system is sufficiently distinct from CoC. The issues
> will *most likely* be with HPL's estate (I assume he's dead? don't know
> that for sure...). Note, however, that if Chaosium has some sort of
> exclusive license to the game rights through HPL's estate, all bets on
> Chaosium leaving you alone are off...

Well, HPL himself put the Mythos and some of its characters into what
was then the equivilent of Public Domain.  He died about 60 years ago
and his estate passed (by what some consider dubious means) to August
Derlith and, eventually, to Arkham House who currently hold it.  Given
the vast ammount of Mythos fan-fic and knock on items around, I think
we're fairly safe.

Mik
--
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/2260