[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD Design doc (long)

Benjamin D. Wiechel strycher at toast.net
Fri Dec 11 13:40:45 CET 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Thinus Barnard <thinus_barnard at bigfoot.com>
To: MUD-Dev <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Date: Friday, December 11, 1998 4:56 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] MUD Design doc (long)

>Hi,
>
>Here is a design doc I am writing for my MUD. If anyone has such
>documents I would love to see it. Maybe some of these docs can be
>published on the MUD-Dev web site..? I find design documents very
>instructive and much more understandable than source code. I hope this
>doc helps someone.
>
>Cheers
>Thinus

I am curious, what sort of MUD system is this designed around?  As
I come from an LP background, specifically, hanging out on CDLIB
these days, I found that, while top level descriptive, some of what you
described definitely is abnormal to LP mud.

The other part that I'm curious about is, is this a help file for coding
wizards, or is this a descriptive plan of what you are trying to
accomplish?  When you ask for design docs, are you talking about
general "How to build a mud" docs, or help docs pertaining to
various muds/codebases?

It think one thing that could be an interesting project would be to
build a HOWTO at a general level for MUDs, although I'm sure that
this would tend to be codebase specific.  Assuming that, a HOWTO
that would help beginning mud admins select a codebase would
probably be appropriate, and also interesting to design.  Is there
significant value to doing this?

Strycher....
--
Benjamin D. Wiechel