[MUD-Dev] Re: Graphic design, client questions

Sunny Gulati sunnywiz at radiks.net
Fri Dec 18 10:45:48 CET 1998

Thinus Barnard wrote:

> Looking at the above I realize that you can implement a graphical inventory in a
> client without needing any specific scripting from the server. The client can
> just check for any get/take/give/drop/use type commands and update the
> inventory. The client can assign default images for the items in the inventory
> and allow the user to associate the items with different pictures if desired.
> Has anybody done this?

This raises a deeper philosophical question:

To mirror the state of one entity to another entity, do you:
-> mirror EVERY possible incremental change to the entity?
-> Cover one's rear by occasionally doing a state dump anyway?

My opinion is that, unless you're EXTREMELY dedicated and nitpicky,
something will always get missed.. so I would do an occasional full
state dump as a matter of routine (and flag to see if the full state
dump conflicts with what the object thought it had).

After a while of not getting any flags of "something is missing", would
take out the full state dump occurrence (but leave the code behind).

Sunny