[MUD-Dev] DBs and Events

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 12 13:14:18 CET 1998

On 10 Feb 98 at 10:52, Greg Munt wrote:

> Am looking for some (web) references to disk-based databases. Can anyone
> help? Advantages and disadvantages of using (only) GDBM to provide a mud DB?

Well there's the Free Database List at <http://solar.flare.net/FreeDB/>
And countless commercial webpages...

GDBM:

Advantage -
	very, very fast access

Disadvantage -
    requires a lot of low-level supporting code (it's contextually stupid)
	data corruption is a snap
    recovery (sheesh do it yourself)
	not threaded aware

I've been looking at TDBM recently as a possible alternative plug-in to my
relational solution.  I used Watcom-SQL in my early implementation and
have since chenged to Borlands Paradox.  I can plug in Oracle, MS-Access,
DB2, or several dozen others if I'm so inclined (ODBC compliant).  I like
having the DB implementation totally independent of the server.

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--