[MUD-Dev] OT: Linux g++

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Sun Feb 15 17:09:57 CET 1998

On 13/02/98 at 10:49 AM, Ben Greear <greear at cyberhighway.net> said:

>Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
>On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Greg Munt wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote:

>> Linux g++ fails miserably at implementing:
>>
>>   templates
>>   namespaces
>>   exceptions
>>
>> You can (sometimes) get away with basic uses of these features, but,
>> since we are all writing non-basic programs, that doesn't help too much.

>Don't know about the others, but you can get templates working.

Try nested templates with detault arguments, or new-style casts.  its
trivially easy to make G++ itself core with even fairly trivial exception
and standards compliant configurations (yes, I've submitted bug reports).
I haven't even touched its namespace support.  G++ is just not physically
capable of handling several extremely useful language areas worth a damn
right now.

Yup, you can avoid those aspects of the language.  Some don't always have
that choice.  Some are unwilling to accept those restrictions.

>Besides it's free and ubiquitous!

I'd rather pay and get a compiler which at least keeps within a couple
years of the current draft standard.  Just how old are the above features
now?

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net