[MUD-Dev] 3D graphics (Was: The impact of the web on muds)

Mon Feb 16 22:36:21 CET 1998

[Caliban:]
:>The way Microsoft is going, you're going to
:>need 64 bit machines to address the system memory not long after 2000!
:
:Do you really think we're going to need 4GB of memory or more THAT soon?
:Yes, we'll need lots of memory, but right now 128 MB is outrageous and even
:going to ONE gig is pretty much in the realm of science fiction for most of
:us.

Actually, I was told just the other day that Windows NT requires 64 Meg
to run properly. Our new 4 CPU boxes will likely not be comfortable with
less than 128 Meg, and that's before we crank up any big customer
applications (which, luckily, won't be for a while).

I find it either amusing or scary (I'm never sure which) that today's
CPU's have more on-chip cache than my first computer could address.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA