[MUD-Dev] The MLI Project

Travis Casey efindel at polaris.net
Tue Feb 17 21:42:05 CET 1998

On Monday, 16 February 98, Vadim wrote:

> For me, it also represents the concept of "sense" - say, beginner can
> see the object just as it appears in a physical-only world, for the mage
> it would be something more (maybe also different) - as you advance, you
> gain more and more lenses you can observe the surrounding world through.

> Makes sense only for a graphical interface, though...

Not necessarily.  There's no reason why a text interface can't be
modified depending on properties of the character, or even why a
character couldn't have multiple possible ways of seeing a text
interface.

It would require a different system of text handling, and more work on
the part of the people creating the descriptions -- but then, having
extra graphics and effects makes for more work as well.

In area descriptions, a markup language along the lines of HTML could
be used, indicating special text seen only by those with certain
abilities.  For objects, extra properties could hold alternative
descriptions.  For example, a room description:

  The stone walls and floor here are antiseptically clean, in stark
  contrast to the rest of the castle. <SMELL 2>There's a faint smell
  of ammonia in the air<SMELL 5>, and an undertone of blood beneath
  it</SMELL>.</SMELL>  A brass brazier stands in the back left corner.
  <INFRAVISION>It still glows with leftover heat, as if it's been used
  recently.</INFRAVISION>  <MAGIC>A sudden queasy chill indicates the
  remains of a necromantic spell in the center of the room.</MAGIC>

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)       http://www.io.com/~efindel/design.html