[MUD-Dev] The MLI Project

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Tue Feb 24 06:39:22 CET 1998

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Chris Gray wrote:
> [Chris L:]

[snipped]

> :Want something a little more "normal".  Boffo now has "magic-vision" which
> :displays the magical potentials of all objects in such strength and
> :overwhelming detail that their mere visual characteristics are effectively
> :lost.

[snipped]

> This suggests, however, that having multiple graphics output windows might
> be interesting. That way, you could show a magical field strength, as
> seen by Boffo, as well as his infra-red view. Similar to previous
> discussions as to focal point, you could choose one of the window's to
> be clearly redrawn, while the other is less so, because the player does
> not have Boffo concentrating on that aspect.

I don't have that much to say about this...

By displaying information regarding a single 'thing' across several
windows (specially as above) would require the player to process the
information and spent some time as a detective.  Piecing things from
different parts of the spectrum to get the big picture.

This seems silly coz a computer should do this all for you.  So perhaps a
layering system where you can switch off layers.  If any of the other
senses is very strong, it can spill over.

I suppose this can be followed back to trying to figure out what the user
wants to know.

_O_O_  Elec Eng Dept, Loughborough University, UK.     kllo at iee.org