[MUD-Dev] Java and Javascript

Jon A. Lambert Jon.A.Lambert at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 26 00:44:23 CET 1998

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> Imagine being able to read news in one window, mail in another, and
> play the game in a third with help files parallel to the active
> terminal session -- plus a coding window you can open up for
> designing your own stuff and updating it on the MUD. A browser will
> do all of this with little or no effort; just do your help system in
> HTML, run your system's news files as an NNTP server, your MUDmail
> system as an IMAP or POP server, stick sendmail up on the machine...
> there's a whole lot of functionality you could handle for your users
> with simple, easy stuff. Communicator Pro comes with a 3270
> emulator! Let's do a MUD in CICS! :)
>
> Sorry, I get nostalgic for obsolete protocols.

FWIW, IBM's 3270 communication is the functional equivalent of Unix's
curses or ncurses.  3270 is far from obsolete, I wish it were, but
it does pay handsomely these days. ;)

> >!!! The last application I ever tend to run is a web-browser. And then I
> >typically use lynx for a few minutes (partly because I don't have enough
> >*colours* to run Netscape reasonable due to my video card).
>
> Yeah, you condescending UNIX types always did tend to sniff at the
> rest of us for liking color and sound and windows. :P

At least one person on this list has admitted to having a traumatic
childhood experience with a rainbow.  Perhaps their are others who
would wish to share?  :P

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--