Why not compile java into object code?

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Thu Feb 26 21:18:30 CET 1998

Since this is one of the largest bodies of opinionated, hard core coders I
know of, I'll pose the question here.  It's mostly off topic of course.

What would it take to compile java down into object code (.o files)?
It's not being done...but I wonder why?  I don't care if I have to compile
for each platform...if I compile just for win95 80% of my users will enjoy
a tremendous speedup....

On a similar level, is this what JIT compilers do?  If so, could not
someone write a JIT that produces an ordinary exe?

I must be missing something here....

Looking for enlightenment...

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html