[MUD-Dev] Tutorial: Let's build a Compiler! - Comments

Jon A. Lambert Jon.A.Lambert at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 27 21:12:30 CET 1998

On 27 Feb 98 at 10:49, s001gmu at nova.wright.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Chris Gray wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I'll be commenting on this after I've seen it all, from the viewpoint
> > of someone who has done a very similar project (produce a small compiler,
> > generating 68000 code, which was designed as a tutorial, and was
> > accompanied by explanatory articles intended for publication). So far,
> > I'm fascinated by both the similarities in approach, and by some of
> > the differences. When I comment, later, I'll make my stuff available
> > for ftp as well.
>
> absolutely cool.  I'd love to read anything else similar to what
> this series of articles looks like.  Compilers is an area I am
> woefully unkowledgeable about.  I've been pondering how to build one
> into a mud, or at least an interpreter, just trying to see if I can
> figgure it out for myself.  :)
>
> > Was this published in any magazines, etc. of the time?
>
> Aye,  I second that request.  Can you divulge your source?  If I can
> get this off the web, I may read ahead a bit... ;)
>
> *goes searching for that web-browser thing to do a web search*  I knew
> it'd come in handy some day.  :)

This is difficult.  I have a hard time remembering URLs.  These
articles were originally posted on 'comp.compilers' and were
collected and zipped up on a site by the maintainer of the
comp.compilers FAQ.  A Hotbot search on the author, Crenshaw, should
turn up a few links (Mostly embedded systems stuff).

Don't worry though, I accelerated my post rate.  Surely it will take
you some time to grok well.  ;)

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--