[MUD-Dev] Totally OT...

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sat Jan 3 13:42:14 CET 1998

On Fri 02 Jan, Mike Sellers wrote:
> At 03:48 PM 12/27/97 PST8PDT, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:

> >(Which are illegal in norway :-).  All video cameras should be placed
> >there for a (legal justifiable) reason and there should be a clearly
> >visible warning sign)

> Interesting -- the city that I've read about putting cameras up on every
> streetcorner to create a companion "virtual city" is Helsinki.  Just a
> couple of countries over. :) =20

This is of course silly :)

Russia is just a couple of countries over but that doesn't mean we were
communist.

There will always be a tension between expediency and people's rights.
Hopefully there are enough safeguards in a society  to prevent the ptb
to throw out the rights for the sake of expediency.
The same should be true on a mud.  Players have a right to expect that
the admin behaves correctly. (I'm avoiding to use the word rights here
because that's topic of another heated discussion).  Admin must ensure
that players do not abuse their freedom. To do so they must infringe a
little on the rights of all players.  As long as it is clear to every-
body how and why there need not be a problem. And of course there must
be sufficient safeguards against admin abuse as well.

Marian
--=20
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,