[MUD-Dev] Mail from mud Update :)

JC Lawrence claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM
Tue Jan 6 16:37:41 CET 1998

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998 19:18:27 PST8PDT
Richard Woolcock<KaVir at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Stephen Zepp wrote:
>>  Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

> I'm catching up on xmas mail, so sorry if someone has mentioned this
> already...  try a & on the end of the command within system.

The problem is still getting the return code from the spawned process.

> I use
> a similar thing to delete player-recognition files - system("rm -f
> -r ../known/*/Kavir &"); or whatever.  I really need to find some
> effective way to pack info about everyone you know into a single
> file, yet have a decent way of removing all knowledge of you from
> everyone elses file when you die...

I suggest using a variation on reference counting where every data node
keeps a pointer to what that node refers to, what objects know
about that data node, and objects keep a list of all that data nodes
that reference that object.

>From there its just a matter of iterating across the appropriate lists
and cleaning up.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net