[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Thu Jan 8 01:20:03 CET 1998

JC Lawrence <claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:
>On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 19:08:07 +0100 (MET) Ola wrote:
>
>>> The admin is tha ultimate authority, should know that, and should

>> neccessarily. Look at IRC.

>Nahh, that's where the aspect of consent mentioned above comes in.

world vs segment (channel on irc)
system owner vs player

Quite a big difference.

>>> However, the main point which I am countering is the assertion that
>>> the users of the MUD world have some sort of divine ownership and
>>> right to their creations and effects in the MUD world.  While I
>>> know that some admins would encourage such a view, I think it is
>>> essentially delusionary.  The users in a MUD are there on the
>>> admin's sufference.  Quite literally he allows them to be there,
>>> and to do whatever they do.  If he did not allow them, they would
>>> not be there.
>
>> Depends.  Some MUDs are run by organizations.  The admin is
>> replacable. Hence the janitor.
>
>No, this doesn't affect anything I said.  The roles are still the
>same.  The power and the responsibility is not tied to the human
>individual, it is tied to whoever holds that position.

It does affect what you said.

Owner = designer = programmer = janitor = JCL.  Implies total control.
Implies blurred roles.  There is nobody to keep the janitor in place.

If the owner is an user owned (and run) organization...

>> Depending on the design, users could upload their designs to
>> different MUDs.  Users do have the intelectual ownership of their
>> creations (legally).
>
>Agreed, and there's a point where physical capability far outrules
>technical control.

Actually I believe users have the copyright to their dialogs as well.
But I am not going into a legal argument...

Ola.