[MUD-Dev] Commercial value of RP

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Thu Jan 8 11:25:30 CET 1998

Sometime at or around 08:01 AM 1/8/98 +0000, I personally witnessed Miroslav
Silovic jumping up to shout:

>I'd think that it would be
>possible to design a way to financially compensate players who turn
>former hack/social MUD into immersive roleplaying experience (MUSHers
>do it for free... ;) ) - in the form of free hours, for instance.
>
>Of course, the challenge is to do it in the way that'd be fair to all
>the players.

A similar situation: In most RPGs, you receive XP bonuses for good
roleplay. On
most MUDs, you receive XP for combat. Period. A challenge I've often looked at
and considered is how to reward the roleplayers without being unfair to the
combat folks -- for example, on most White Wolf-based systems, you receive XP
*only* for RP and never for combat. As a result, combat is rather rare. On
most
MUDs, as I've mentioned, there are XP for combat but never for RP. As a
result,
of course, RP is considered a waste of time (what does it get you?) and hence
not invested in. I've considered a few ways of handling this, but I'm having
real difficulty coming up with something fair. Has anyone managed to come up
with an equitable method of awarding RP-based XP with an automated system, or
does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
+-[Caliban Tiresias Darklock]-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-[caliban at darklock.com]-+
| Darklock Communications                     http://www.darklock.com/ |
| The Darklock Sound                http://www.darklock.com/darksound/ |
| Making Waves Unofficial Music Site    http://www.darklock.com/mwave/ |
|     "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."    |
| Send e-mail for PGP public key in response: caliban-pgp at darklock.com |
+-[PGP fingerprint 9145 99B1 9AAE 9911 10AF  503B 55D9 6E8D 8F8C 1519]-+