[MUD-Dev] World Seeding (was Task Parsing)

JC Lawrence claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Jan 8 17:19:24 CET 1998

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:27:51 PST8PDT
Ling <K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk> wrote:

> Final note, ever considered adding an extra tier to your mud?  Let's
> take the PBeM approach. :*) The PBeM players would control a nation
> and submit turns in weekly without ever realising it is based in a
> mud.  They can advertise for a scout to make a recce into enemy
> territory and a player would take up the job, do the biz and write
> up the report (well, fill in the blanks).  As usual, there is the
> problem of synching the two tiers and certain design problems...

One problem is ensuring that neither side finds out about the other
(balance and collusion problems), or that both sides always know about
each other and so does everybody else.  Its a system where the control
of who data on who owns the power is actually much more valuable than
the power itself.  You either need to ensure that everybody knows,
thereby devalueing the data, or nobody knows, thereby rendering its
value moot.

Outside of that, I'd __love__ to see something like this tied in with
a Diplomacy-type game.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
                                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
----------(*)                        Internet: jc.lawrence at sun.com