[MUD-Dev] Totally OT... (Or is it?) (yes it is ;)

JC Lawrence claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM
Sun Jan 11 14:22:17 CET 1998

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 00:29:20 PST8PDT
Jon A Lambert<jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 9 Jan 98 at 17:36, JC Lawrence wrote:

>> On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:20:10 PST8PDT Ola wrote:

>> This varies a lot, both by industry and locale.  For much of the IT
>> industries here in the valley employers of necessity must play
>> court to their employees.  If they don't, the employees just get up
>> and leave, very very aware of the fact that they can have 5 other
>> job offers, likely paying more, within a couple hours.  Part of
>> that playing court is often ensuring that the stock value grows
>> sufficiently fast as many employees are not interested in their
>> (often) pitiful salaries, but in the extra incomes from their stock
>> options.

> Of course you, I and likely many on this list are in high demand
> technical fields (or are studying to be).  The mean lies somewhere
> in the vast other 80%+ of the economy.

Oh, of course.  The above was written in pure blind devil's advocate
mode in reaction to a largely unqualified assertion.  I've been in the
other 80%.  I've also been at the bottom of it (ended up eating
oatmeal for three months once as it was the only thing I could afford
(did I ever say that I /used/ to really like oatmeal?)).  Not fun.
Not gonna do it again.

Silicon valley is a very surreal almost Dali-esqe/Picassoid
environment.  The speed of light is slightly /slower/ here.  It gets
scary when looking at the Valley's percentage fragment of the
California and national GNP and trade volume.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
                                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
----------(*)                        Internet: jc.lawrence at sun.com