[MUD-Dev] Re: (no subject)

Alex Oren alexo at bigfoot.com
Sun Jan 11 17:33:19 CET 1998

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998 22:22:42 PST8PDT, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

} On  1 Jan 98 at 15:32, Chris Gray wrote:
} > Who defines "evil deeds"?
} >
} > Deeds contrary to the local law might be evil - they can certainly get you
} > in real trouble if discovered.
} >
} > What about deeds contrary to the local morality? They can get you in
} > a different kind of trouble, but it might actually be more serious, and
} > will vary wildly depending on where you live.
}
} The controlling moral authority.  This can be local, cultural or universal.
} Universals definitions do exist and are much more important and
} significant.  There are local variations.  For instance, the last time I
} was in Fredrickburg, Texas it was still considered immoral to work on
} Sunday and was also inhibited by local ordinance making it illegal to
} sell hardware on Sundays.

I don't usually follow these threads but this post pushed a button.

In the state if Israel, Jews are forbidden by law to work on saturdays.  A
fundamental law "freedom of occupation" explicitly forbids importing non-kosher
meat.  All issues regarding matrimony are to be resolved by a rabbinic court
according to the jewish tradition (not the laws of the state).

The majority of jewish citizens (say 70%) are secular.  Most, if not all, oppose
these laws.

However, because of coalition agreements the orthodox parties in the Israeli
parliament (currently have 23 members out of 120, less than 20%) get to impose
their "morality" on the majority.  All in the name of god, of course.

} > I'm often glad that I live up here in Canada, instead of down in the
} > U.S., where the "moral majority" is much stronger. Is that type of
} > phenomenom present in other countries as well?
}
} The moral majority is largely silent and votes most often with their
} feets.  There are some vocal groups and individuals, but they are largely
} drowned out by the chatterings of the "immoral minority".  <sigh>

--
Have fun,
Alex.