[MUD-Dev] OT: DCOM and RMI

Alex Oren alexo at bigfoot.com
Mon Jan 12 12:02:05 CET 1998

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998 23:22:39 PST8PDT, Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

} Jon A. Lambert wrote:
} >
} > DCOM enabled objects are somewhat difficult to write, yet not as
} > difficult as CORBA (BTW this is complete hearsay and subjective
} > opinion :> ).
} >
} > _I_ believe DCOM to be technically superior to RMI in the area
} > of performance and features.  OTOH, RMI is quite easy to write,
} > to call, and understand which is a very big plus.
}
} [all below is my personal opinion]
}
} I guess, all that DCOM vs. CORBA vs. RMI dispute is just yet another
} religious war.
} Please refrain from continuing this already off-topic thread as a flame
} war, but from my experience (I'm almost the only UNIX freak in a company
} which announces itself as a Microsoft Solution Provider) I can state a
} few facts:
}
} - CORBA is difficult, but understandable. Also, it's not free (the only
} known to me free CORBA implementation is Voyager from
} www.objectspace.com (they also have excellent, though a bit
} heavy-weighted container library, JGL).

Some interesting links:

http://www.secant.com/articles/byte.htm
http://www.cerfnet.com/~mpcline/Corba-FAQ/index.html
http://www.research.att.com/~ymwang/resources/DCOMnCORBA.htm