[MUD-Dev] Clients

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Tue Jan 13 23:58:58 CET 1998

[I did a little manual reformatting of this post since it was a little
screwed up -Matt]

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Stephen Zepp wrote:
> JC Lawrence wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 21:48:43 PST8PDT
> > Matt Chatterley<root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> wrote:
>
> [snip talk about features]
>
> > > On the protocol side, one thing in my mind is to allow my mud to
> > > communicate its menus (currently done using the input_to() features
> > > of MudOS/LPC) to the client so that they appear in 'pop-up' windows
> > > which are clickable, and easy control of features, such as a 'spell
> > > selection window' for using special skills and magic, but again,
> > > considering this in a general fashion is harder:
>
> The pueblo 2.01 client is rather interesting,
> http://www.chaco.com
> .. It allows for a lot of things, including html, 2-d and 3-d pictures
> including VRML, and pretty much anything you can do with normal html.
> They also have some extensions, specifically paning, which allows you to
> redirect output to different client panes, something that I've found
> standard "mudders" don't like, but it limits spam dramatically in my
> opinion, and I love it.  It also allowed me to add sounds as effects.

Pueblo is very interesting - and I'd like to offer HTML support as a
module (of course, this requires writing an HTML parser, and if I do this,
I will also build in minimalistic web support).

M*U*S*H (I should be safe telling you its pennmush.org 4201, since its a
social/development orientated environment, and perhaps a good place for
mud-devvers to meet up should they wish) also supports Pueblo to quite
interesting effect.

Pueblo does embody some of my goals - namely a greater feeling of
integration between client (user) and server (game). Using tf to connect
to some muds does make me feel quite 'remote' and not so much a 'part' of
the environment.

[Snip rest]

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	ICQ: 5580107
"We can recode it; we have the technology."