Vast areas in muds

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Mon Jan 19 19:24:24 CET 1998

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, Marian Griffith wrote:

[with regard to representing rather big areas in muds]

> If crossing the desert means typing 'E' a couple of thousand times  and
> watching the same identical description every time then it is boring in
> the wrong way.  Of course I have no real solution,  but I was trying to
> point out what types of areas are difficult to represent in a rooms and
> exits based mud.

I've always wondered...  For a real 3d movement sort of mud, imagine the
player got shrunk into a 1 inch high stag beetle and gets transported to a
desert.  Does this mean the player will sit there watching a blank screen
as the character attempts to traverse a few thousand miles of desert or
does the occassional message appear:

"You amble past a really big rock."  (which is a pebble but the character
is only one inch high).

  |    Kilo Lima Lima Oscar dash Niner Four, over and out.        ---o
_O_O_  Electronic and Electrical Division, Loughborough Corp.    <+=+=+>