[MUD-Dev] Arctic's Project?

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user2.inficad.com
Wed Jan 28 22:29:00 CET 1998

[Brandon Cline:]
> Was browsing around on Arctic Mud's web page when I noticed this in the
> online help files.  Now I don't know if any of this went through or what
> not but I thought you'd find it interesting what they were considering...
>

>                                    ARCTIC OS
>

> Arctic's Next Large Scale Project
> =================================
>
> We, the immortals of Arctic MUD (tm), have decided to begin a port of
> Arctic's code to JAVA language into a Windows 95 environment.  The code will
> only run for Win95 so we can try to optimize speed and utilize the enhanced
> features of this superior operating system.

Although this is fairly humourous by itself, it's a *whole* lot funnier
if you're familiar with Arctic in general.  For those that don't know, Arctic
is a mud based on diku which has been running for about six years now, and
is IMO one of the best GoP muds ever made. (mud.arctic.org 2700 if anyone
cares)

Needless to say, most of the Arctic staff and players are die-hard
UNIX lovers.

> Anonymous: 'Are you going to pwipe?'
>
> Due to the conversion from operating system and code language, we will likely
> be having to clear the player files.  But do not expect to see something like
> that happen for quite some time.

The immortals on Arctic are famous for sprining pwipes on the mud population
without warning.  People are constantly asking if there's going to be a pwipe,
and whenever the immortals deny it most vehemently is when it's about to happen.

> Nuitari

Ah, this explains it.  This guy is a well known prankster :)