[MUD-Dev] MetaVoice, MetaFont

JC Lawrence claw at under.Eng.Sun.COM
Fri Jan 30 10:42:38 CET 1998

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:03:55 PST8PDT
Vadim Tkachenko<vadimt at 4cs.com> wrote:

> Richard Woolcock wrote:

>> Having said that, proper speech on a graphical mud is IMO far
>> better than text coming up on the screen.

> But what is also important, given the international nature of MUDs
> and (as I know on my own experience) a lot of people whose first
> language is not English, is to keep the text representation, too -
> it's really much easier to read then to listen.

Coming back, very temporarily. from a long enforced absence:

Nahh.  Speech would drive me nuts.  I turn off the sound on Doom and
comapny as they make the game almost unplayable.  Actual speech would
only make it worse as now the sound would have have automatic
attention grabbing properties (ie words command more attention than
mere "noise").

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
                                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
----------(*)                        Internet: jc.lawrence at sun.com