[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev's DevMUD: a word of caution

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 1 02:30:18 CET 1998

On 31 Oct 98, ApplePiMan at aol.com wrote:
> At 10/31/98 4:20 PM Chris Gray (cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA)
> altered the fabric of reality by uttering:
>
> >DevMUD isn't really a MUD. DevCore might be a better name. What is
> >being discussed has virtually nothing to do with the higher level
> >game-related issues of a MUD. Hence, any discussion of that sort of
> >stuff in relation to DevMUD is irrelevant, in my opinion. That sort
> >of discussion is relevant to some modules (authentication, character
> >control, presence/absence of combat, type of socials, etc.), but we
> >haven't been discussing those things. We all know that those things
> >are needed, but they are just not relevant to this discussion.
>
> I have to agree wholeheartedly here, even though I fall squarely in the
> designer's camp and simply following this thread, much less contributing,
> has been sorely taxing. DevMUD, as I understand it, is intended more to
> provide the tools for those of us who are designers to build our ideal
> MUD than to be something that's fun "out of the box". As such, deep
> discussion of what is the minimal core functionality that every MUD-like
> game shares in common is exactly what *should* be happening, IMHO. Once
> that's done, it's time to hash out the higher-level stuff (the modules),
> and at that point I would agree a more structured top-down approach would
> be more appropriate. But for now, I feel the discussion (or *most* of it
> anyway) has been right on track.

I also believe this is exactly what DevMUD technical discussions are
addressing.  The "hard" issues of some very basic and perhaps
novel mud architectures are being hashed and thrashed about.   I
would agree with Chris about the high-level game aspects.   I would
call them the "soft" issues.  If all that comes of this is an
interesting and usable foundation of DevCore modules/architecture,
then I find that satisfactory.

Personally, I would be very unlikely to use any of the soft game
components like magic modules or combat systems as I have some very
specific ideas about how these things should be done.  And I believe
that very few people working on the project would hold those in
common.

I think it would be "a bad idea" for someone to introduce or
attempt to deal with the concept of a "character" in a network module
for instance.  Many existing hardcoded servers have done this because
they are specifically targetting a mud.  Or should I say a mud "as
they see it".

--
--/*\ Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD     Internet:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com /*\--
--/*\ Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.netcom.com/~jlsysinc> /*\--