[MUD-Dev] Re: DevMUD: Inheritable modules

Jo Dillon emily at thelonious.new.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 2 10:37:11 CET 1998

Adam J. Thornton (adam at phoenix.Princeton.EDU) spake thusly:

> So basically the core (in my idea of it) would not do much except handle
> connections, broker them, and multiplex/demultiplex the data going through
> them.  This is going to be kernel-like, so it's not really that important
> to be able to dynamically load it or unload it--I can't imagine a MUD that
> did not provide these services.  And I think this bottom layer would be a
> couple thousand lines of C: quite small.

  Perhaps it should be more microkernel-like, with various networking
protocols abstracted into modules as well? It would be nice to be able
to plug in, say, Unix-domain socket, console and IPv6 TCP handlers to
support different transports.

--
	Jo

Harmony - the project to create an LGPL Qt clone
http://harmony.ruhr.de