[MUD-Dev] Re: Why modules? (Was: Inheritable modules)

Mon Nov 2 12:43:39 CET 1998

Vadim Tkachenko wrote:
>=20
> Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> >
> > This is getting worse. Now you don't even assume anything about the
> > developers, and Vadim ignores the lag! Great! A total lack of a probl=
em
> > space!!  You'll be lucky if you eventually stumble onto something whi=
ch
> > isn't a minor issue...
>=20
> About this particular issue (hope I didn't lose the context): I _do_
> _not_ ignore the lag. There are two unrelated topics regarding the lag:

Sorry for interpreting you wrongly then.

> 1. Firs of all, you can't control the lag, would it be one second or on=
> minute. It's beyond control, therefore irrelevant. The only thing you
> can do is make your system lag-tolerant (I wouldn't go too deep into
> this, it's been beaten to death before).

It has?  I haven't seen many solutions. Although I have been thinking a
lot about lag-tolerant mechanisms in private...
=20
> 2. It's not a high-level design problem, it's communication layer
> problem. If overall performance for everyone drops if you have one
> client lagging out, it's a wrong design, not wrong lag handling.

Actually, it is the context in which the system will operate.  There is n=
point in avoiding smaller delays in the server if that is only 10% of the
delays the user will experience.  User experience is key.  The context is
important, should never be ignored.

--
Ola