[MUD-Dev] Re: DevMUD considerations and the Halloween article

Tue Nov 3 21:48:33 CET 1998

[Jon Leonard:]

 >There are a few design decisions I'm aware of that have far-reaching impact
 >on the VM design.  Some undecided ones that I'm aware of:

Yep. Others might be issues with string handling (copy v.s. refcount or
GC or something). Locking/unlocking of DB entries (automatic? manual?
none?) Error reporting capabilities, traceback production, what level
of run-time checking is done before byte-code is executed?

 >There's nothing keeping us from having alternate VMs, and these are possible
 >things that they might differ in.  We should definitely decide on one model
 >to start with, though.

Makes sense, unless we magically end up with a couple of alternates fairly
early in the game. I'm not being entirely altruistic in wanting to get
my stuff available early!

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation. - me

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA